Single Tooth Implant
There is no better, long-lasting option to restoring a missing tooth than a single tooth implant fitted with a crown.
If you fail to replace a missing tooth or teeth in a timely manner it can create a variety of oral health problems. The remaining teeth that you do have can shift to fill in the gaps, resulting in bite and jaw alignment issues. You may also experience jawbone deterioration and additional tooth loss. Dental implants are the most effective option to replace a missing tooth or teeth and ensure these serious issues do not arise, contact us today to learn more about your dental implant options.
Single Tooth Implant
Traditional replacement of a single tooth using a dental implant is often completed over multiple visits:
- Consultation and planning, including initial exam, imaging of your teeth, questions about your dental and medical history, and discussion of your treatment options.
- Placement of the dental implant, a substitute for the missing natural tooth root, either with or without a built-in abutment (a connector placed on, or built into, the top of the implant) that will attach to the replacement tooth. A temporary tooth can be placed while the dental implant integrates with your natural bone to form a strong foundation for your replacement tooth. Most people return to work the next day.
- Placement of the abutment, if one wasn’t placed during the prior visit.
- Placement of a custom-made crown, or replacement tooth.
About Single Tooth Implants
What are Dental Implants?
A cylindrical and/or tapered post usually made of titanium serves as a substitute for the tooth root and provides a strong and sturdy foundation for one or more replacement teeth. Your new tooth will have a similar look and feel to your real teeth.
Benefits of a Single Tooth Implant
- Long-Lasting – Dental Implants can last your lifetime (with proper dental care) and have the look of a natural tooth.
- Easy Care – Regular dental care and hygiene feel the same as with your natural teeth.
- Natural Look & Feel – Aesthetically pleasing, Dental Implants will look and feel like natural teeth.
What is a Single Tooth Implant made of?
A single-tooth implant consists of several parts:
- The implant — Made of titanium, shaped like a screw or post, is placed into the jawbone.
- The abutment — Made of titanium, gold, or porcelain, is attached to the implant. This part connects the implant to the crown.
- The crown — Made of porcelain fused to metal (PFM), all-metal, or all-porcelain. Your crown will be made to match your other teeth and will be attached to the abutment.
What are the advantages of a Single Tooth Implant over a bridge?
A single dental implant provides several advantages over a dental bridge. The most common advantage is the ease of dental hygiene, as opposed to bridges that are often difficult to clean and maintain. In addition to the function and look of a natural tooth, a dental implant replaces a single tooth without sacrificing the health of nearby teeth.